North Eastern Railroad Forum Index North Eastern Railroad
We Deliver What Others Promise

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEFB-045-02 and 03

Post new topic   Reply to topic    North Eastern Railroad Forum Index -> Freight Operations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnH
Human Resources Director
Human Resources Director

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: NEFB-045-02 and 03 Reply with quote

I have just completed these two work orders and would like to congratulate the developer on providing such an excellent pair for us.

In both, you take a freight train from the Lake Hurst area to Dunktown. Both require you to do some train assembly at lake Hurst, but that is done in different ways in each activity. And in both, you have to do some short switching activity along the way.

Both work orders are about 1.5 hours in length. I took a bit longer, because I kept watching the AI traffic, especially around the Lake Hurst yard and junction.

The AI traffic is excellent - some of the best that I have seen lately. I had no problems with any of the meets, and I did not have to run backwards a bit at any of the red lights.

The instructions - from the despatcher and from popups - are clear and accurate. Almost all of the switching is done for you.

The length and level of complexity of these work orders make them suitable for inexperienced engineers and for those of us who like to relax after work by running a train or two.

They also provide a good introduction to the Full Bucket route. This route, in its first version (this is the third) was the first one that I added to my initial install of MSTS a couple of years ago, and it has always been one of my favourites (parts of it look rather like Australia). These work orders take advantage of the variation in grade to keep the engineer watching speed and grade carefully - but the grades do not cause any real problems.

Again, thanks for these work orders. I really enjoyed them. Very Happy

Cert.# 04-1-NERR008D
MontDenverGold
Baggage Man
Baggage Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John for those very kind words.

I have only just read your post and it inspired me to start on my next series of work orders.
Due to a few people having problems with NEFB-045-04 I had been a bit put off from writing any work orders lately.

I also have a soft spot for the FullBucket line as I use to drive trains north of Port Augusta in South Australia and the scenery is much the same.

Thanks again

#45 Mont Denver Gold
David Mc Dougall
JohnH
Human Resources Director
Human Resources Director

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my pleasure.

I'll try the 04 run and let you know how I go.

Don't let a few hiccups put you off doing more activities. We need more activities from Australian members - have you run the Australian routes that we use here?

Cert.# 04-1-NERR008D
robertr
Route Developer
Route Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MontDenverGold wrote:
Due to a few people having problems with NEFB-045-04 I had been a bit put off from writing any work orders lately.

If you only had a 'few people having problems' you've got it made Wink Seriously, almost any activity will find someone that it can cause problems for .. and I'm not putting anyone down in saying this at all. All of our machines are slightly different, each one of us 'perceives' things very differently, so it stands to reason not everything is going to 'follow the original plan' and go completely as intended for everyone attempting it.

I'm beginning to think that activity making should is best done similar to route construction. For the most part (not counting Kips' amazing reconstruction on the NECV, for example), a person makes a route or an activity because they want to do something or use something that is not currently available for any number of reasons. In other words, make whatever it is that you might enjoy, then share it with others .. if they enjoy it, that is just frosting on the cake.

I guess what I'm rambling on about is simply .. don't get discouraged, but keep making them, enjoying them and sharing them so others can also enjoy. We're all in this together Cool

Robert R. #109 - NW Division
Cert# 05-1-NERR109A (Diesel, Steam & Passenger)
ADF/M&RM & C&NW & NEAir - All now part of NERR
MontDenverGold
Baggage Man
Baggage Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys

I have just started writing NEMP-045-02 - and cant stop!
Much of the same - Heavy freight drag, rear end pushers, a couple of VIP sleeper coaches, heavy traffic, eye candy etc

Is it possible to have too much AI traffic Wink

#45 Mont Denver Gold
David Mc Dougall
Stumbl
Conductor
Conductor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only for the sim , Mont , lol ,and when that happens your computer gets as confused as you do Smile

thanks for taking the time !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rlfwood
Porter
Porter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, guys, what am I doing wrong? I have tried twice now to run NEFB-45-03, and both times I get as far as the tanker pickup at Newton Oil, and two AI trains are stalemated at the signal at MP 1250. I pick up the tankers and then the three of us just sit there and look at each other Very Happy

Since other people have run this work order successfully, I know it must just be me (proving once again that nothing can ever be foolproof because fools are so ingenious).

Any thoughts on where I'm falling into error?

http://www.train-puzzles.com/
MontDenverGold
Baggage Man
Baggage Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ralph

You need to leave the cars you brought in from Lake Hurst at Newton. Just pick up the oil tankers only and head to Dunktown.

Hope this helps

#45 Mont Denver Gold
David Mc Dougall
rlfwood
Porter
Porter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I did. As I approached the signal at Newton, two AI trains were already stalemated there. I left my train on the main, backed into the refinery and picked up the tankers, and then pulled out. But I can't get past the signal, since the two AI trains are still stalemated there (the eastbound one looks like the train that is just pulling out of the yard at the beginning of the activity).

I know that sometimes this kind of thing can occur if the player inadvertently allows his engine to move backwards, so I was careful to avoid that except when it was obviously called for by the activity.

As I noted above, when it happened the first time I bailed out of the activity and started all over again, but the same thing happened.

MontDenverGold
Baggage Man
Baggage Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other thing I can think of is perhaps you are taking too long to get out of Lake Hurst

When you depart Lake Hurst and hit the mainline you should pass a grain train travelling in the same direction which will then pass you at Newton whilst you are shunting there

Otherwise try installing the activity again

I ran it again last week with no problems

#45 Mont Denver Gold
David Mc Dougall
rlfwood
Porter
Porter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must be the problem -- I don't remember passing a grain train.

I'll try it again. Thanks for the input.

Ralph

charliec

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
I want to thank you for the hours of enjoyment I've had running your acts for the FBL. Hope you get inspired to do some more soon.
Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    North Eastern Railroad Forum Index -> Freight Operations All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: