North Eastern Railroad Forum Index North Eastern Railroad
We Deliver What Others Promise

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Activity Install Defeat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    North Eastern Railroad Forum Index -> Help for New Engineers - Please Read
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mortsman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Activity Install Defeat Reply with quote

I know you have seen this before but I have reached the end of my rope trying to unpack NERR activities with TSUnpack. It has been a month of trying, reading every forum to exhaustion, installing the TSUnpack "fix", trying to correct things with Regedit (under what little instruction is available) all to no avail. Just once, I was able to install NEOW-LFLD-004-01-FLO by doing a right click on the act. in the MSTS Util folder. When I selected "Open", lo and behold, the act installed to my Bodiddly Route. Rounding up and installing equip and creating consists, I was able to run the activity to a successful conclusion yesterday. I haven't been able to recreat anything or open another NERR ACT the same way since.
Other route acts won't open with this TSUnpack either. Fortunately a TSUpack I had installed in a separate folder on C: still works for my other routes, but not for NERR acts.
I guess I will have to quit NERR unless I can find some help, or solve the problem. I haven't found a way to contact NERR administrator to let them know about my issue.
JohnH
Human Resources Director
Human Resources Director

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have followed your problem, but I can't replicate it, so I can't suggest any fix for it. I've not ever had any problems with the NERR work orders and the TSUnpack program.

On the computer where I do not have the MSTS installation in a standard folder, I have an MSTS folder with the route folders and the few minimum files needed to unpack the apk file and fool the unpacker into thinking that it was a full MSTS. Then I just copy the activity flies across to the full installation.

Cert.# 04-1-NERR008D
CanadaSouthern
Brakeman
Brakeman

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After downloading an NERR work order, have you unzipped the file before trying to use the TSunpack? I've found that sometimes if you just go into the zipped folder by opening it, rather than unzipping it, there will be a problem trying to install the activity.

vNERR 114
vC&NW 0208
PC Canada Division 752166 (Dec 1973-May1985)
CN Rail (May1985-Dec 1986)
London Transit Operator 1987-2013
London Transit Inspector 2013 -

40 Years of Transportation employment!
mortsman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: So far, so good. Reply with quote

Hi John, I really appreciate the personal interest you have taken in my problems. It helps to know there is someone out there who cares.

As you suggest, I have created a folder separate from MSTS and am using it to open activities. I just copy an NERR activity file into it and drag it to TSUnpack. WOW! It actually opens and copies to the Bodiddly Route.

Of course, that is not the end of it. Then I usually spend at least 6 hrs with Conbuilder and Route Riter to solve the many problems with the downloaded equipment, consists and activity.

The good news is that I have now downloaded, installed and successfully run 2 NERR activities. And, I have learned a lot about MSTS in the process.

Thanks for your input also, Richard. Like you, I once installed a NERR activity by right clicking on the act and selecting "open".
It installed but ended up never working right and I had to delete it.

Maybe, I now have enough confidence to install another route to run NERR acts on, like Pokey. I will keep you posted.

Chuck
CanadaSouthern
Brakeman
Brakeman

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What problems are you having with the equipment and consists? I've never had a problem with them. They all work out of the package.

vNERR 114
vC&NW 0208

mortsman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: NERR Reply with quote

For example, I have never been able to get the NERR brown and green boxcars recognized by a consist. The same goes for the NERR "cupcab" caboose. In order to make the activities work that call for these cars, I have had to go into the consist and substitute cars from other routes, such as the original MSTS USA cars. That's OK. It takes time, but the train is more interesting.

I had a terrible time getting the NE Jordan snowplow wag file working so that the consist for the NE 260.... activity would pick it up. Never did get the cupcab for this consist to work so I subbed in an Or&W model. Activity worked fine after all that.

The good news is that I have made progress on the TSUnpack problem. Thanks for you interest.
CanadaSouthern
Brakeman
Brakeman

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you downloaded all the NERR equipment from the Roster in the NETS menu?
Have you made any changes to your NERR equipment?

Try reinstalling the NERR equipment. I've never had a problem with any of the activities, equipment or consists as long as I've had all the required equipment installed.

vNERR 114
vC&NW 0208

pclawser
A#1
A#1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: trainset Reply with quote

The NERR system is well organized and coherent. I recommend, also, that you install ALL of the NERR equipment. You do not need any other equipment. It takes a while to install everything, but much less time will be needed later for the activities. A car or locomotive can be prevented from operating if the sound or cab view is not installed.

NERRCDE1, NERRCST1, NERRCP1, NERR-D2-2010
OHV Cert. BTO, ATO, PTO, STO, AD
cbff33
Engineer
Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question would be....what is your operating system? Windows 7 or windows 8? And if it is either one of those systems, did you follow the MSTS installation tutorial on the steam4me website? With all variations of errors, it almost sounds like an MSTS w7 or w8 install that was place inside the program files or programfilesx86 folder. Nothing but problems if you let msts install to default location on windows 7 or 8
NERR #133
Diesel Cert. # 04-1-NERR133D
CanadaSouthern
Brakeman
Brakeman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also found that installing with Vista or later, all install files need to be run using the Admin Install. This could be what's hindering it as well.

vNERR 114
vC&NW 0208

pclawser
A#1
A#1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: no Reply with quote

The activity files can be opened in Vista with a double click. I put a fix file somewhere in the forums but do not find a good search for it. (default directories)

For Vista, put the unzipped enclosed file in the Train Simulator/Utilities directory. (Open.bat) Right click on an *.apk file. Choose Open With and Choose Default Program. Click the box Always use... Use Browse to find and select the Open.bat file and check OK.

Double click on the .apk file and you will see it install.

The default program can be a .bat file.

What feedback is there for Windows 7 or 8?

NERRCDE1, NERRCST1, NERRCP1, NERR-D2-2010
OHV Cert. BTO, ATO, PTO, STO, AD
mortsman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: TSUnpack_fix Reply with quote

pclawser, you are right. Your Vista instructions also apply to W7.

Ironic as it is, an explanation and the exact instructions for W7 (and other versions) can be found in the Readme for TSUnpack_fix. I am a lot more careful about thoroughly studying "readmes" now.

My particular problem was in not following through in the TSUnpack_fix installation by changing the "Advance Settings" in "Folder Options".

Activity installations are a snap for me now. Thanks for everyone's input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    North Eastern Railroad Forum Index -> Help for New Engineers - Please Read All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: