North Eastern Railroad Forum Index North Eastern Railroad
We Deliver What Others Promise

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Now what - getting started

Post new topic   Reply to topic    North Eastern Railroad Forum Index -> Help for New Engineers - Please Read
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silvermeteor
Superintendent
Superintendent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Now what - getting started Reply with quote

One suggestion. As you d/l routes, equipment and activities you should concentrate on one thing. Here's what I mean.

1. Pick one route and d/l it. Read the "Read Me" file carefully and install the route according to the instructions. Fire up MSTS and make sure that the rout appears and functions in explore mode. If not try to figure out what is wrong for yourself. You will remember the fix longer if you help yourself. If you cannot figure it out then find the most likely forum, usually the one dedicated to that particular route, and post your problem. Provide as much information about what you have done and already tried so we can make better suggestions. Do not install anything else until this one route is operating correctly.

2. Pick one work order for the route that you just installed and now have working correctly. Do not install the work order at this time just download it and check the readme. There is usually a required equipment list included.

3. Use the equipment list provided with the work order to identify the equipment that you do not have and will need to download and install. Download one piece of equipment. Install it and make sure it does not cause problems.

4. Continue this process until you have downloaded and installed every piece of equipment required for the one work order on the one route.

5. Now that you have installed and verified each piece of equipment required for your work order it is safe to install the work order. You need to install the equipment first so that you will not generate a multitude of error messages due to uninstalled equipment.

6. Start MSTS, select your work order and hopefully you will not receive any error messages. If you do they should be minimal and easily corrected. Again try to solve the problem yourself. If you need assistance look for the proper forum that adresses your situation. You will get better help more quickly if your post is properly placed in the most appropriate forum.

It will seem like a lot of equipment the first time. If you do this in steps however, each time you will need to download less equipment and have more already installed.

Please pay attention to what I have said about one step at a time. Many of us tried to d/l and install all of the equipment for our first work order. Then, when dear MSTS had issues with what we had done, it was impossible to tell if it was one piece of equipment (and which one of the many we just installed) or it there were several pieces causing numerous problems.

The folks here at NERR have tried to make this as foolproof as possible. MSTS is not the best for installation and there are numerious things that can cause problems unbeknownst to the poor user. then there are those of us that insist on installing a whole bunch of equipment, work orders and routes all at once making the problems much harder to identify and solve.

If you follow this proceedure you will not regret it. Of course, choosing the path that you wish to follow is up to you and the folks here will help you in any event. It is a daunting undertaking when you first begin. Why not take it one step at a time and help us help you make it as painless as possible.

We do mean it when we say "Have fun!"

EDIT: This post has been edited and the sequence of events revised based on the following posts.

Sometimes Engineer CNW0004, NERR #0042, P&A #02

Last edited by silvermeteor on Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
artimrj
A#1
A#1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And no one here thinks you are stupid. Impatient maybe, but not stupid. There is a lot of stuff here. Like Rick said pick one route, that is here. Then get some work orders for it, then get some equipment for the work orders.

You DO NOT have to stay in the SE Div. You can run anything anywhere. The DIvision is more cosmetic than anything else, just something to go in hand with the feel of a real railroad.

NERR Engineer ID #1

To Fly is Heavenly, to Hover is Divine...
Topher
Yard Master
Yard Master

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to make Silvermeteor's post a 'sticky' that is easily seen by new engineers? Idea I'm sure that it could save a lot of head scratching. I know I could have used it when I graduated. Confused

Still plays with trains!
elementb
Superintendent Maintenance of Way
Superintendent Maintenance of Way

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea.
ED209v2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is the right way:

Installing an activity (work order) without the equipment will generate a huge amount of errors and I think if the lead engine of the player consist isn't installed the sim will crash.

Also by the time I installed equipment no 21 and there would be something wrong with it, I wouldn't notice because I'll be clicking away the same errors in a hurry (I've seen the same errors 20 times before and wouldn't notice a new one).

I think if you want to install equipment one by one, you should do it before installing the activity (work order).

Also install the official MSTS updates first then the --NERR default equipment update-- and the cab- and sound packages as well (to avoid errors).
silvermeteor
Superintendent
Superintendent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Erik,

It has been a while since I had to do this and I certainy may have the steps backwards. If so I will be more than happy to edit the post and change things.

Can a couple more confirm the process so I know which is correct. It sounds to me like Erik is right but I need to be sure.

MickyT
Union Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Process seems good to me.

One Route, do a explore mode with a MSTS locomotive, to check it out.

Download Route Control if you don't have it and install.

Install one activity ay a time, and run Route Control, look for the missing locomotives and rolling stock.

Download either one at a time the missing locomotives and rolling stock, install it or them and run Route Control again.

Don't try to run MSTS until you are sure you have all the missing equipment.

It's a bit like eating an elephant, little bites at a time and you'll eat the whole elephant.

NERR Engineer #102
South West Division

GL&A #24
P&A #17

Certification 03-8-NERR102D
ED209v2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Route Control Lite as well. But I think that the purpose of this post is how to do it without utilities. (others will prefer Route Riter or Conbuilder or another utility)

Also NERR equipment is tested (by all engineers here) and I think it is safe to install them all at once. I think if there are errors you are probably missing one of the above mentioned files (Rick I think you should include these in your post).

When using non-NERR equipment it might be better to install them one by one.
artimrj
A#1
A#1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik is definitely right. If you install an activity with missing equipment you will have troubles to no end.

However each work order states which equipment is needed inside the zip file.

So it would be.

1. Pick a route.
2. Pick a work order
3. See what equipment it needs.
4. Download equipment.
5. Install equipment, including updates, sounds and cabs required.
6. Install work order.
7. Run it.

NERR Engineer ID #1

To Fly is Heavenly, to Hover is Divine...
silvermeteor
Superintendent
Superintendent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. My boo boo. Embarassed The post has been revised.
Bill Prieger
A#1
A#1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I might add a couple things.

You cannot emphasize enough on reading the instructions. I know we are guys and instructions are for those of lower cranial capacities. Forget that. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. It will make you life so much easier and NERR that much more enjoyable. If you FOLLOW the instructions in the downloads and what Rick has posted. You will have no problems. If you do I'd lay money it's from other non NERR related material. NERR's stuff is that good and tested.

Take your time. Speed will come with experiance at setting up you NERR routes and w/o's. A little self control and time taken to read and do things in an orderly manner will make the experiance that much more fun.

Thirdly, have fun. This is why so many put the time in here to test and make sure everything works. Purely this was done for your enjoyment. If you do have a problem, as Rick stated, drop a post and we will work together to get you thru the problem.

Lastly, if you do not have Trainstore by Tony Formosa (it's available in the d/l section and a dedicated forum here), I suggest you d/l it and install, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS, and use it. This way you can isolate your new NERR route and new w/o and have MSTS only load those items thus minimizing the chances of someone elses equipment or route from creating a problem. If you use TrainStore and still have a problem, it will better enable us to help you locate and fix it.

NERR #269
P&A #29
C&NW #0005
Diesel Certification #04-1-NERR269D
Railroad Experiance: 10 years (RW)/ 6 years (MSTS)/Not near enough (AE)/Never will have (RE)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    North Eastern Railroad Forum Index -> Help for New Engineers - Please Read All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: